"What is the best office chair to buy," and "What is the best ergonomic position to work in" are very common questions I get on a regular basis. Unfortunately there is no right answer to these questions, and more importantly, these are the wrong questions to be asking in the first place. They belong in the world of "Ergonomics 1.0."
In this episode I discuss the concept of "Ergonomics 2.0" with Industrial Engineer and Certified Ergonomist Josh Kerst. We talk all about why traditional ergonomics no longer make sense, and more importantly, how to reshape your workstation and workspace to be more dynamic and promote better health.
Click here to download your bonus document "How to Set Up a More Ergonomic (And Dynamic) Workstation"
Our show sponsors:
Topics of Conversation:
- What exactly does Josh do?
- When Josh decided he should shift his focus to standing instead of sitting
- Josh's thoughts on the AltWork Desk
- How Wall-E is becoming our reality
- What happens to the body when you don’t experience gravity properly
- What is N.E.A.T.?
- “Your best ergonomic move is your next one.” Keep moving!
- The best ergonomic chair is not a chair
- Stand assist tools - The Mogo
- Great tips for transitioning from a sitting desk to a standing desk
- More Focal Upright Ergonomics tools that will help you transition to a standing desk
- The positive consequences of movement during the workday aka “getting your mojo back”
- How movement is helping to combat depression and anxiety
- How your posture affects how people perceive you
- Exercising (even if you do it often) will not make up for sitting all day
- Allowing kids to move is actually helping them learn and concentrate
- Try taking a walking meeting outside (especially after lunch)
- The effects of lighting on humans - get out of your caves!
- The best color to work under
- Moving can really give you a competitive advantage
- Setting up the proper standing workstation
- How to deal with forearm and wrist issues
Focal Upright Ergonomics
FiP Podcast Ep63: The Solution To Your Sedentary Lifestyle
FiP Podcast Ep55: We Are Not "Below the Line"
Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are
Kerst, Josh, CPE, CIE
Executive Vice President, Principal Ergonomist, Focal Upright Furniture Inc.
(Ergo Geek) Experienced, passionate and thoughtful leader in the field of ergonomics with an emphasis on designs that positively transform the way people work in the digital age. Josh holds a BSE (U of Michigan) in Industrial Engineering and is a Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE), Certified Industrial Ergonomist (CIE) and is a Member of the ANSI/BIFMA X5.1 Office Seating committee.
This episode was edited by Curtis Fritsch, the show notes were prepared by Natalie Boschan, and this show is executive produced by Kanen Flowers. We are a member of the THAT STUDIO podcast network.
The music in the opening and closing of the show is courtesy of Dorian Cheah from his brilliant album ARA.